Are you renting your property in Murcia for short periods of time? Then, you are subject to legal and fiscal obligations.
Are you aware of them?
The team of legal and fiscal experts at Fuster & Associates has prepared the following quick guide to ensure you are not missing any of these important requirements. If you still have any doubts after reading it, don’t hesitate to send them our way!
Apartment units, bungalows, villas, chalets and the like offered for rent for holiday or tourism purposes having met the requirements specified in Decree 75/2005, are all considered holiday accommodations.
1. Furnished and equipped accommodation ready to be used immediately for temporary occupancy.
2. Accommodation which is commercialised and promoted to tourists via different channels (be it online or offline).
3. Accommodation offered with a lucrative purpose.
4. Accommodation which is offered as a whole or sublet by rooms.
5. Accommodation which is let for tourist purposes rather than for housing or residency purposes.
• They must have a permanent supply of hot and cold water
• Electricity and light
• They must be cleaned before check-in
• Fresh bedding must be provided at least once a week
• Disposal facilities
• Maintain the property in optimal conditions
• Inform guests about the services offered (if applicable), house rules and emergency contact numbers
• Provide the manager’s or homeowner’s personal contact phone details
• Have a home insurance that covers tenants.
If you ow a property of the characteristics above described, you will need to present the following documentation to initiate the procedures to obtain a tourist license:
With this declaration, the authorities are informed of your intention to rent the property for tourist purposes.
One of the requirements is to have a civil liability insurance to cover damages to both your home and your tenants. There’s currently no minimum coverage obligation.
If you already have home insurance, you will need to extend it to cover your future tenants.
In this Excel you will need to include details like:
1. The address of the property,
2. The maximum number of persons that can occupy your property,
3. The number of bathrooms and
4. The number of TVs.
No. You can start processing your application without paying any fees.
As a service provider of tourist apartments, you must inform the Tourism Institute of the Region of Murcia of any changes of ownership, denomination, extension, substantial reforms or any modification that affects the data that appears in the Register of Companies and Tourist Activities, as well as the cessation of the exercise of the activity.
The final decision is issued in approximately three months although the authorities tend to go overtime but you can start your rental activity from the moment you submit the responsible declaration.
An identity plate must be placed outside a company’s office or premises or outside the homes of individuals who operate holiday accommodation in accordance with the provisions of the “Order of July 20, 2006 of the Ministry of Tourism, Commerce and Consumption” which determines the identification of Tourist Apartments and Vacation Accommodations, Rural Accommodations, Hotel Establishments and Restoration Establishments of the Region of Murcia.
All vacation accommodations must make claim forms available to customers and provide these immediately as they so require. The existence of these forms will be announced to the public in a visible manner and will be expressed in Spanish, French, English and another language of the owner’s choice.
Prices must be displayed in a place that is perfectly visible to users.
The prices of the holiday homes are up to the owner’s discretion, having to always set a minimum and a maximum.
In summary, if you are the owner or have been transferred the rights to rent out a holiday accommodation, it’s important for you to be aware that you are obliged to:
Overwhelmed by all the paperwork ahead of you? Don’t have the time to deal with all these tedious requirements? Limited by your Spanish language skills?
Don’t worry! Fuster & Associates can help.
Our team of fiscal and legal multilingual experts will ensure you comply with all the law’s requirements and avoid unpleasant problems and hefty fines. We look forward hearing from you!
We want to help you navigate all the legal complexities that come with your home buying in Spain, but this article is legal information and should not be seen as legal advice.